As a homeowner in Maine, there may come a time that you need to file a claim on your home insurance as a result of theft or vandalism, or natural disaster. It’s important to contact your insurance company as soon as possible to get the process rolling, as there may be time limits for filing claims on your policy.
The claims process may include some or all of the following, depending on the type of loss:
- Police reports in the case of theft or vandalism or other crime.
- Provision of a loss-adjuster by the insurance company, to help assess your case.
- Making an inventory – in the case of either theft or vandalism, or following a disaster, it’s important to make a list of all missing or damaged possessions.
- Providing receipts to your insurance company for temporary repairs and/or additional expenses in the case of temporary relocation, so that you can be reimbursed.
- Completion of claim forms and other paperwork within the specified time limits.
It’s very important to fully understand your policy in the first place, so that you know exactly what is and is not covered by your Maine home insurance policy. It’s also important to regularly review your insurance, to ensure it is adequate to reimburse you in case of loss or damages.
Contact us for more information.