Today in Maine we’re getting hit with heavy, wet snow.  When this snow accumulates on power lines and nearby trees, lines get knocked to the ground and customers lose power.  Here’s how to keep your home and family safe while you wait for the hard working electric company employees to get you back on the grid.

  • If you’re without heat, avoid using your outside doors as much as possible, to keep heat trapped inside.  Dress in layers and don’t forget to wear a hat and mittens to stay warm.
  • If your power is out for more than 2 hours, consider moving your refrigerated food to a snowbank to keep it cool, being sure to watch for animals who might rummage through it.  You can also melt snow for water.
  • Do not use kerosene, propane or gasoline powered devices (ie. heaters, grills or generators) inside your home.  They produce deadly carbon monoxide gasses.
  • Unplug electronics and appliances to avoid power surge damage when the power is restored.
  • If below freezing temperatures are expected, open your faucets slightly to avoid frozen pipes.  If your pipes do freeze, do not heat them with a blow torch or other open flame.  If you are unable to thaw them with a hair dryer, call a plumber.  Burst pipes cause severe water damage.
  • Check on your neighbors to make sure they are doing ok through the storm.