Causes of home firesHere is a list of causes of real fires that were submitted as homeowners claims to Concord Group Insurance. They are common circumstances that many of us may find ourselves in. This list serves as a reminder to be aware of simple things that can cause major damage.

  • 20 year old fan
  • Hot gas grill and blow torch used to start a bonfire put away in garage
  • Plastic storage boxes placed on top of a power cord
  • Combustible material too close to a wood stove
  • Overheated 10 year old extension cord
  • Boots placed against a heater
  • Car battery charged with extension cord of inadequate amperage
  • Careless disposal of smoking materials
  • Unattended candle placed in teacup, which broke
  • Improper disposal of incense materials
  • Ashes cleaned from a woodstove placed in a garage next to combustible materials
  • Hot riding lawn mower parked in garage
  • Fireworks landed on roof
  • Electric space heather too close to bed
  • Woodstove fire caused by clogged chimney
  • Bird nest over a 500 watt halogen light
  • Lint buildup in dryer vent
  • Space heater plugged in with two extension cords
  • Curling iron left on
  • Heat lamp in a rabbit hutch