Getting a good night of uninterrupted sleep is not just important for your body and mind’s well-being, but also for your sanity. How can you fight back against irregular sleep patterns and a general feeling of “insomnia”? We have read that some minor adjustments to your schedule and even your bedroom can help.
- Remember that you should be trying your hardest to get to sleep at the same time, and in the same place, each and every night. This will get your body into a routine and make it easier for you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep.
- Exercise regularly. This is a good way to tire out your body and release endorphins.
- Monitor your caffeine intake. This does not mean you have to do away with caffeine completely, but it does mean that you should avoid over-doing it.
- Before you take that nap, limit it. A good nap is long enough to revive you but short enough not to impact your sleep – 15 or 20 minutes is best.
- Make comfort a priority. You want your bed to feel fresh, inviting and relaxing. Wash your pillows regularly and splurge for that extra cozy comforter – your body will thank you.
What do you do when you find you cannot sleep? Some people reach for melatonin supplements from the drug store, others, a nightcap. Studies show that those things only have short-term effectiveness. Try out these methods instead!