Maine Blueberry Facts
by Hollie McAfee
Maine is known for its wild blueberries, and since July is National Blueberry Month I decided to research some facts about this formidable little fruit. Here are some fun facts that I came across.
- Maine has 60,000 acres of wild blueberries.
- Maine raises 99% of the wild blueberries grown in the United States.
- The annual harvest of North American blueberries, if spread out in a single layer, would cover a four-lane highway from Chicago to New York.
- America’s favorite muffin is blueberry.
- Blueberries are high in antioxidants, which may help prevent damage caused by cancer, heart disease, and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Early American colonists made gray paint by boiling blueberries in milk.
I love pie, so found this great blueberry pie recipe!
Welcome to F.A. Peabody – Maine Insurance Specialists
F.A. Peabody knows every customer is different, so we have worked tirelessly to offer a diverse product line and educate our Maine insurance specialists to better serve you! Founded in 1927 we have been offering this personal touch to all of our clients for over 90 years. As a result, this attitude has been recognized around Maine as we were rewarded the Governor’s Award for Business Excellence in 2008.
Whether you need affordable insurance in Bangor, Portland or anywhere in Maine, contact F.A. Peabody today to let us begin earning your trust. Maine Insurance from F.A. Peabody, Insurance in ME has never been more about you!