by Shelley Tozier
Personal Lines New Business Specialist
F.A. Peabody Company, Hampden, Maine
How can you get the best home insurance price?
- The higher the credit score, the better!
- NO bankruptcy in the past 5 years
- If you attended college
- If you are part of a group-rated program, like teacher or first-responder
- The house is less than 5 miles from the town’s fire department
- The house is less than 1,000 feet from a town water hydrant
- Owning no dogs of certain breeds
- Having NO prior home/apartment insurance claims
- If you have never had your prior home/apartment insurance cancelled by the insurance carrier’s choice
- If you have a central reporting alarm system of some kind
- More often than not, insuring your automobiles with the same carrier will provide better pricing for both home and autos
These are great guidelines to use, but remember, some insurers give discounts for things like a hard-wired generator or a standing seam roof, among other discounts. Your agent should ask these questions to be sure you are getting the best pricing options.